Setting up good kitchen habits makes life much easier at home.
Apart from the time between about 5pm and 7pm, if you walk into our kitchen, things are relatively neat and tidy. Here are the habits that make that happen:
- Run the dishwasher every night
- Handwash cooking trays, pots and pans and wipe down tables and bench every evening after dinner
- Unload the dishwasher each morning before or during breakfast
- Begin to reload dishes as you use them - after each meal or snack
- Wipe bench, table, and sink area after each meal or snack
- If your family is anything like ours; sweep/ use dustpan under eating areas after each meal or snack
- Streamline kitchen tasks - e.g. while sitting at bench, waiting for kids to finish lunch, start dinner preparation
- Streamline use of dishes/ kitchen utensils - e.g. reuse a single mug/ glass for drinks all day, encourage kids to use a drink bottle rather than using fresh cups all day at home, chop all vegetables with a single knife/ chopping board before chopping meat products...
Just like with the laundry, doing bits and pieces as I go keeps things manageable and reduces the overwhelmed feeling of having a build-up of work to do.
How do you keep your kitchen running smoothly?